Plan your visit to Hamilton with our handy maps.
Hamilton Transport Centre
Hamilton Transport Centre is located on the corner of Bryce Street and Anglesea Street. It is the central hub for passenger services in Hamilton, regional and national bus services.
Ticketing and information counters are available within the centre, as well as a café and public toilets.
BUSIT (Local Bus)
In total, our buses serve more than 1,000 bus stops and carry around four million passengers a year. And we try to ensure that our buses are as accessible as possible for those who are mobility, visually or hearing impaired.
The Transport Centre is situated on the corner of Bryce Street and Anglesea Street, Hamilton.
Most of our bus services travel to and from the Hamilton Transport Centre. Inside the main building, we have a staffed BUSIT counter open from 8am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday. Come in and see us to find out anything and everything about buses, or to buy or top-up BUSIT cards.
InterCity (National Bus)
Here’s what you need to know about booking travel and preparing for your trip with us.
Availability and bookings
You can book and pay for your travel online, through our contact centre or at agents around NZ (incluing Hamilton i-SITE). Please check the opening hours of our retail agents as some may have changed.
As we start to reopen our network, some routes remain suspended. Our network map shows routes currently operating. Click the map to view the full version.
Travelling safe with InterCity
We’ve changed some of our procedures to help keep our customers and our drivers safe. Here’s what we’re doing, and how you can help.
- Check your name, phone number and email address are correct on your booking so we can reach you for contact tracing purposes if needed
- Feel free to bring your own sanitiser, mask or other PPE with you
- Please do not travel if you feel unwell. If you do feel unwell, please contact us and we will transfer your ticket to another date free of charge.
WHY ISN’T THE WHOLE NETWORK RUNNING?
We are working to expand our network as demand grows.
WHEN WILL THE OTHER ROUTES RETURN?
We don’t have a timeframe right now for when these routes will become available again, but we’ll let you know as soon as we have an update.
CAN UNACCOMPANIED MINORS STILL TRAVEL?
There is no change to our unaccompanied minor policy, however please ensure children are aware of hygiene precautions to prevent the spread of illness (eg washing hands regularly, coughing or sneezing into elbows). If your child is unwell they should not travel – please contact us for a free transfer to an alternative date.
WILL FLEXIPASSES BE EXTENDED?
InterCity is extending the validity of passes affected by the COVID-19 lockdown period. Please contact us for more information.
The Great Journeys of New Zealand
The Interislander ferry is the longest running Cook Strait ferry service in New Zealand. Interislander sails between Wellington (North Island) and Picton (South Island). Our Interislander ferry is known as one of the most beautiful ferry journeys in the world and one of New Zealand's most iconic tourism experiences.
The Interislander is one of the unmissable Great Journeys of New Zealand. It connects to our scenic rail experiences; the Coastal Pacific, which runs from Picton to Christchurch, and the Northern Explorer which journeys through the heart of the North Island.
COVID-19 Alert Level 1 service alterations:
Please note, we are currently working on:
- Increasing passenger capacities
- Removing seating restrictions
- Reducing Check-in times back to 60 minutes before departure for vehicles and 45 minutes for foot passengers
- Photo ID is still required for ALL adults at check-in
- this enables you to be contacted should a case of COVID-19 arise
- Reintroducing full menus and normal service in our restaurants and cafes
- Reopening Children's Play Areas:
- Aratere and Kaiarahi Children's Areas are open
- Kaitaki Play Area (Deck 2) to open by the weekend
- Onboard cinemas will open by the weekend
- Aratere Plus Lounge and Kaitaki Plus Lounge are open:
- additional tickets will be available from the onboard Shop
- the buffet is currently replaced by table service
- Kaiarahi Plus lounge remains temporarily closed
- Wellington Terminal Shuttle Bus will resume on Thursday 11 June 2020
For more information visit Interislander
Northern Explorer - Temporarily Closed
New Zealand's longest running passenger service, the Northern Explorer is a long distance scenic train service running between Auckland and Wellington, stopping at Palmerston North, Ohakune, National Park and Hamilton.
The journey through Tongariro National Park, with its three spectacular volcanic mountains – Tongariro, Ngāuruhoe and Ruapehu – is a highlight, a place of extremes and surprises, where snow-blanketed fields, ancient lava flows and dense beech forests can be seen side by side.
For more information visit The Great Journeys of New Zealand.
- Dial-a-Cab 0800 342 522
- Hamilton Taxis 0800 477 477
- Red Cabs Ltd 07 839 3939
Electric Scooter, Bike, Car, Motorbike and Campervan Rentals
App Hire: Hire by the minute through smart, secure and simple apps
Local Car Rentals:
- Bargain Rental Cars
- Budget NZ
- Ingham Rentals
- RaD Car Hire
- Rite Price Car, Van & Truck Rentals
- RFM Rentals
- Thrifty Car Rentals
- Waikato Car & Commercial Rentals
The gateway to the Waikato region. The Hamilton Airport services domestic flights only, it is located 15 minutes drive south of central city Hamilton. Directions to and from the airport are clearly marked with road signs on State Highway 1 and State Highway 3. Either of these highways can be taken to and from the airport.
For more information visit Hamilton Airport
Now that New Zealand has moved into Alert Level 1, travel can resume safely around the country and our airport can go back to functioning the way it did pre-COVID.
Hand sanitisers throughout the terminal are still available; please use them as often as you need. We encourage you to continue to follow the COVID-19 hygiene rules that you are no doubt familiar with, in regard to hand sanitising, sneezing into elbows and the like.
We will continue our stepped-up hygiene routine with regard to regularly sanitising public and high-touch areas.
Please remember to scan our barcode for the official COVID-19 app - this creates a digital diary and is useful should you ever need to be contact traced. Our barcodes are located at the terminal entrance and in various places throughout the terminal - as well as at the cafe and the book store.
PLEASE REMEMBER: IF YOU ARE FEELING UNWELL, DO NOT TRAVEL. THIS HELPS KEEP US ALL SAFE. Enjoy travelling around New Zealand, but make sure you follow all the standard personal health measures and keep a record of where you’ve visited and who you’ve been in contact with – just in case.
RETAIL AND FOOD & BEVERAGE
- Our Café is open (head up the stairs or use the escalator/lifts)
- The Store is open (ground floor - beside entry doors)
- Our car parking facility is operating as normal, and as a high touch area, will be regularly cleaned and sanitised throughout the day. For information about parking at Hamilton Airport, see our Parking page. Please use the payWave option where possible.
JET PARK HOTEL & PROPELLER RESTAURANT & BAR
- Jet Park Hotel Hamilton Airport is open and taking bookings for both guests and conferencing. During your stay, you can order food and drinks via room service.
- Propeller Restaurant & Bar offers both takeaways and seated dining options. You can scan their barcode as well.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Air New Zealand - visit the Air New Zealand website for the latest schedule and fare information as well as FAQ’s for travelling.
Airport Shuttles to Hamilton Airport
Airport Shuttles to Auckland Airport
Tour and Charter Companies
Archer Tours Ideal for couples or small groups
Carrington Tours Provides limousine services and custom tours around the Waikato region
Kirra Tours Excellent for those wishing to travel in a group and stay in Motel/ Hotel accommodation
Nature and Nosh The great outdoors & great food. A match made in heaven? We think so
Platinum Transfers & Tours Providing luxury reliable transport for all your needs
Waikato Custom Tours Relax while our friendly, professional tour guide takes care of you
Waitomo Caves Tours & Transfers We offer local shuttle services from Hamilton as well to local glowworm caves tours and other attractions.
Starr Tours Perfect for students, small groups or families