Freedom camping gives visitors to Hamilton the opportunity to stay in our city at little or no cost, and the Council has allocated places around the city where freedom camping in self-contained vehicles is permitted.
The Council manages freedom camping under the Parks, Domains and Reserves Bylaw 2019 and the Traffic Bylaw 2015, in accordance with the Freedom Camping Act 2011.
The Council allows freedom camping in certified self-contained vehicles at:
Porritt Stadium in the designated area of the car park.
- A maximum of six self-contained vehicles be permitted to park there at any one time.
- Drivers/owners of those six self-contained vehicles cannot be parked there for more than three nights in any one month.
- The car park is available for overnight parking only between 5pm and 9am each day for up to three consecutive nights.
Porritt Stadium is available for freedom camping 365 days of the year, within the prescribed time period. The park has a toilet facility.
- On public road in any time unrestricted car-parking space across the city.
The self-contained vehicle is not parked on the same road for any continuous period exceeding three days without authority from the Council.
- Freedom camping is not permitted in Civic Square and Garden Place, as set out in the Freedom Camping Register.
Freedom campers using Porritt Stadium must:
- Camp in a self-contained vehicle displaying a NZS5465:2001 Self Containment Warrant.
- Use the facilities provided.
- Leave the site in the condition in which they found it – in particular, please dispose of any rubbish appropriately.
- Not prevent other park users from undertaking legitimate activities in the location (please note Porritt Stadium and its car park are used for a football club based at this site, and for athletics events also held at this venue).
Freedom campers on the city's road must:
- Ensure their self-contained vehicle does not pose a health and safety risk.
- All waste is disposed of at an authorised dump station.
- Not cause a nuisance to residents.
There is an authorised dump station for campervans at the end of Tui Ave (adjacent to Minogue Park).
For more information, please call 07 838 6699.