Hamilton Gardens is open at Alert Level 2 with reduced hours. The Information Centre will be open to visitors from 10am to 5pm daily, and the themed gardens will open between 10am and 5pm. Slightly reducing our open hours allows Hamilton Gardens staff to work safely in public areas during Alert Level 2. Some areas or themed gardens may be temporarily closed as our team is working hard to catch up on garden maintenance that has been delayed due to lockdown.
- It is mandatory for staff and visitors to wear a face covering in public areas within our facilities.
- Visitors must wear a face covering if they wish to enter our facilities as well as physically distancing from other people. People without a face covering cannot enter our public facilities. This is to keep you, your whaanau, and the community safe.
- Visitors must register by scanning a QR code at the entry points to Hamilton Gardens. Alternatively, a paper-based register will be available in the Information Centre during open hours.
- Physical distancing is required with two metres' distance between strangers. We will make hand sanitiser available throughout the site and have increased the cleaning regime for toilets and other surfaces.
- Hamilton Gardens playground will be open at Alert Level 2.
- The public toilets are open from 10am to 4pm and are being cleaned four times a day.
- Information Centre - all purchases will be contactless with no cash sales.
- The café is open daily from 9.30am to 4pm. Tables have been spaced further apart for customers dining in the café and a single-server process is in place. Takeaway food is also available. Please contact the Cafe staff directly for details: 07 856 6581
- Events that meet the government's Alert Level 2 guidelines can be held at Hamilton Gardens. Contact the booking team on 07 958 5940 or email@example.com for more information about venue or garden hire.
Welcome to the rather mysterious world of Hamilton Gardens
Hamilton Gardens is open every day of the year and entry is free.
In the 1960s, Hamilton Gardens was a bleak rubbish dump covered in weeds with seagulls circling above. No one could have imagined that such a barren mess would one become an award-winning public garden and the Waikato’s most popular visitor attraction. Today Hamilton Gardens has an internationally unique concept that tells the ‘story of gardens’. While botanic gardens concentrate on plant collections, at Hamilton Gardens the focus is on the different types of garden that have been developed over the past 4,000 years. The vibrant and immaculately maintained garden collections explore the history, context and meaning of gardens. Take just a few steps and go from China’s Sung dynasty to the grandeur of the Italian Renaissance era, or wander from the kitchen garden of an 18th century European estate into a surreal world of strange topiary and giant-sized tools.
The Enclosed Gardens are open 7.30am to 5.30pm during winter months. The Information Centre and Gift Shop is open 9am to 5pm every day except Christmas Day. Gates to access the overall Hamilton Gardens park area are locked at 9pm.
Discover the secrets of Hamilton Gardens
Take a tour with one of our experienced volunteer guides who will share the secrets of Hamilton Gardens. This all-season tour takes 75 minutes and includes our most popular gardens. Book online to confirm your tour or drop in for a tour at 11am every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.
Information Centre and Gift Shop
Find out all you need to know about Hamilton Gardens and pick up a guide map for just $2. Available in English or Mandarin. Our gift shop stocks Hamilton Gardens merchandise as well as souvenirs and homewares, specialising in quality New Zealand products for garden lovers. You'll find a delicious range of preserves and salad dressings, made locally with ingredients sourced from our gardens.Try lemon curd made with lemons grown in the Concept Garden, or our traditional chunky Seville Orange Marmalade made with fruit grown in the Italian Renaissance Garden! Available stock may vary seasonally.
The Information Centre and Gift Shop is open every day except Christmas Day. We accept payment by EFTPOS, Visa, Mastercard, Alipay, and WeChat Pay.